Bat Cats score 40 runs in three-game sweep in home series opener

0
115
Junior Terrance Spurlin hits the baseball and runs to first base.(Sreenikhil Keshamoni | Collegian Media Group)

The baseball team swept Fairleigh Dickinson in a three-game series over the weekend. The Wildcats and the Knights faced off in a double header on Friday and an evening game on Saturday.

Kansas State, who has struggled to score at times early this season, spread 40 runs and 45 hits over the three-game stretch, giving up just three runs.

Game 1: K-State 8, Fairleigh Dickinson 1 (W:Seymour 1-2 , L: Romeo 0-1)

Sophomore pitcher Carson Seymor used just 96 pitches to pitch six full innings, allowing just one run on four hits. He struck out seven. The Dartmouth transfer recorded his first win of the season.

K-State jumped on the Knights early when junior first baseman Terrence Spurlin scored on a wild pitch in the second inning. Spurlin was 2-3 with three RBIs, including a solo homerun in the fifth.

The Wildcats recorded another run in the third, two in the fourth, three in the fifth and an added an insurance run in the eighth.

Production from the middle of the lineup gave K-State’s offense a big lift in the first game. The five, six and seven spot in the lineup went a combined 7-for-12 and scored four of the Wildcats eight runs.

Game 2: K-State 12, Fairleigh Dickinson 1 (W: McCullough 2-0, L: Kosowsky 1-2)

In the second leg of the doubleheader, K-State kept the hitting going while freshman starter Connor McCullough recorded the win. K-State won 12-1.

McCullough recorded 9 Ks in seven innings of work while only surrendering a single run on three hits. His ERA moved to just 0.95.

The Wildcats poured on most of their offense in the bottom of the seventh and eighth. They scored three in the seventh and dropped a six-spot on the Knights in the eighth for good measure.

Spurlin, still at first base, was a solid 3-4 with three more RBIs and two runs scored personally. Junior right fielder Zach Kokoska was also 3-4 in the second spot in the lineup.

Game 3: K-State 20, Fairleigh Dickinson 1 (W: Wicks 2-0, L: Cohn 0-1)

K-State outscored FDU 20-1. Sophomore Jordan Wicks made the start and gave up four hits in five innings, but kept FDU off the scoreboard.

K-State scored two in the third, seven in the fourth, three in the fifth, five in the sixth and three more in the eighth.

Junior designated hitter Jordan Maxson was 2-for-5 with a double and three RBIs. He scored two runs of his own.

The three-game sweep moved K-State to 6-5 on the year ahead of a four-game road trip to visit the struggling Stanford Cardinal. Stanford is just 3-8 on the year after a brutal early season stretch.

The Wildcats and Cardinal will play one game March 6, a double header on March 7 and one final game on March 8.