Men’s basketball loses as Oklahoma State pulls away in second half

0
147
Junior guard Cartier Diarra scans the court for an open play during the men's basketball game against Texas in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 22, 2020. For the Throwback Game, K-State wore two-tone lavender uniforms, which were worn from 1973 to 1982. The Longhorns took the Wildcats 70-59. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The men’s basketball team mounted a competitive game against Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Oklahoma, Wednesday evening. The back-and-forth meeting featured seven ties and an astonishing eight lead changes. But the Wildcats just couldn’t keep up.

Near the end of the matchup, the Cowboys surged, securing a 69-63 victory over the Wildcats. Kansas State sits at an 11 game losing streak.

Going in the the halftime break, the Cowboys led by only three points, 26-23.

Oklahoma State started the second half strong, extending their lead to 32-25 in the first minute and a half.

But K-State did not go down without a fight. They shortened the lead to 33-31, and they slowly fought their way to tie the game at 41-41 with 12:12 to play in the second half. Junior guard Mike McGuirl scored off a Cowboy turnover to give the Wildcats their first lead of the game, 43-41.

That lead lasted until 7:55 remained on the clock. The Cowboys took it back with a three pointer, taking the score to 51-49.

Oklahoma State never looked back. They extended their late-surge lead to 56-49 before K-State started responding.

The Wildcats got two free throws from senior forward Makol Mawien to make the score 56-51. It wasn’t too long, however, before the Cowboys drew out their largest lead of the game, 62-51.

K-State cut the lead to six points three different times after that in an attempt to comeback, and cut the lead to four on a three-pointer by senior forward Xavier Sneed, but that was as close as the Wildcats got to mounting a successful comeback.

Redshirt junior guard Cartier Diarra led the Wildcats scoring 16 points. Sneed scored 10 points and junior guard Mike McGurl scored 11 points.

What really hurt K-State this time around was the shooting behind the arc. The Wildcats went four-21 from behind the three point like — the Cowboys were seven-20.

K-State will return home to take on the Iowa State Cyclones at 3 p.m. Saturday. It will be Mawien and Sneed’s last game at Bramlage Coliseum.