K-State Global Campus receives high rankings, brings K-State ‘experience’ to online students

0
173
Chloe Byers, sophomore in marketing, multi-tasks to do her homework online using her laptop and an iMac monitor in Kedzie hall. (Paige Eichkorn | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State’s Global Campus recently received high rankings from U.S. News & World Report in 11 categories, including ranking 11th for top online MBA programs with a management focus and 22nd for educational administration programs.

“I think it’s a great indicator of what we’re trying to accomplish with K-State Online,” George Widenor, director of marketing for K-State Global Campus, said.

Tuition at K-State’s Global Campus is $436.30 per credit hour for undergraduate courses and $574.20 per credit hour for graduate courses.

“K-State charges more for online courses,” Kimberly Maute, junior in elementary education at K-State Global Campus, said. “But I feel like the quality way outweighs the cost.”

Grant Guggisberg, communication and marketing specialist for K-State’s Global Campus, said even though there is a separate global campus fee included in tuition, there is no out-of-state tuition for global students.

With over 560 graduates each year and new programs being introduced, K-State’s Global Campus is always trying to expand their reach and provide the same experience you would receive on campus.

“The more options we can offer to online students, the more students we can reach,” Widenor said.

The students receive access to all the student services that are available on campus, according to Widenor.

“At first I was nervous,” Maute said. “I wanted to have the same kind of feeling with an online school and K-State has that.”

Maute was also able to join Kappa Delta Pi and attends the meetings via zoom where she is able to interact with all the other members. She received scholarships from Global Campus and other scholarships in which she was competing with traditional, on-campus students.

K-State Global Campus wants to provide the same experience to distance students they would receive on campus, Widenor said.

With technology evolving and migrating into the traditional classroom, there aren’t as many differences between online education and on-campus education through K-State, according to Guggisberg. He said distance education is something the program takes very seriously and has been for the last 50 years.

“Literally, we started in the ‘60s educating people in western Kansas or other parts of the state, just driving out there and offering the education to them,” Guggisberg said. “Distance education also included mailing tapes and paper through the mail.”

Maute said she learns more through K-State Online than she may have on-campus and is able to do her coursework with a flexible schedule. The K-State “experience” is one she feels she has received through K-State Global Campus.

“It has a family-feel experience to it,” Maute said. “It’s just like being on campus. You really feel connected to everyone.”