Spring break tips: A guide to ‘staycationing’ in Manhattan

0
753
Students who are trying to save money while on spring break have several options to have fun on a budget. Some ideas are hiking at the Konza and biking around Manhattan. (Jordan Koster | Collegian Media Group)

Rather than having an elaborate trip planned, stay local and enjoy Manhattan for all it has to offer. If you are already planning on staying in Manhattan for spring break, there are many things to do in the area and on a budget. Here are three local ideas for keeping busy over spring break.

1. Hike at the Konza Prairie

The Konza Prairie is a great place to visit for all to enjoy. The Konza has walking trails that range from a mile hike to a six-mile hike. If you are a morning person, a great option is to go early and watch the sunrise from the big hill. Not a morning person? Maybe watch the sunset.

Another great option is to pack a lunch and have a picnic at the Konza. Being surrounded by nature and enjoying your lunch is a great option and allows you to share that moment by yourself or with others. Just don’t go off the trail.

2. Visit Varsity Donuts — and then bike around town

Many of you may be familiar with Varsity Donuts but not all the opportunities that it offers. Varsity Donuts has many board games inside, a ping pong table and bike rentals.

Stop in Varsity to grab a K-Stater donut and maybe even a cup of coffee. Make sure to play some of the games they have and even rent a bike to sight see around town. The great thing about the bikes is that you can get one for you or a bike for two. Varsity Donuts is a local staple and can make for a great day that consists of eating donuts and a workout from your bike.

3. Make a trip to Geary County State Park

If you're looking for something to do over spring break in Manhattan, look no further than Geary County State Lake. (Monica Diaz | Collegian Media Group)

If you still are wanting to travel, there is a perfect spot to visit that is only a 30-minute drive from Manhattan. Geary County State Park is close by and has a waterfall, hiking trails and fishing spots. If you are going to visit, look up the directions online beforehand. Once you’ve parked your car, there is a hike that is less than a mile and takes you to a stunning waterfall.

Once you are there, I highly recommend packing a snack or lunch so you can stay the whole day. This is a great place to bring a book to read, a speaker for music or even a hammock to embrace the nature. If you want, hike around or stay near the waterfront.

If you are staying local for spring break, make sure to give these places a try. There is a lot to do in the area, you just have to be creative and have fun.

Monica Diaz is the social media editor for the Collegian and a senior in mass communications. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and the persons interviewed and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.

Monica Diaz
I'm Monica Diaz and I graduated in May 2020 with a degree in broadcast journalism and Spanish. I severed in several roles while working for the Collegian, but most of my work focused on rebuilding the Collegian digital brand with an increased social media presence. I also worked on KKSU-TV and appeared as an anchor on MHK All Day in my last semester on campus. In my spare time, I enjoy a good cup of coffee and spending time with family. I have a passion for journalism because I believe that everyone deserves to have their voice heard.