Big 12 Tournament cancelled after Kansas City mayor declares state of emergency

0
203
The Big 12 Conference cancelled the Big 12 men's and women's basketball tournament before Thursday's games. K-State won against TCU yesterday 53-49. (Dalton Wainscott | Collegian Media Group)

The Big 12 Conference cancelled the Big 12 men’s and women’s basketball tournament before Thursday’s games. This cancellation follows Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas’s state of emergency declaration asking all events over 1,000 people in attendance to cancel.

Bob Bowlsby, Big 12 Commissioner, soon announced the basketball games would be canceled

“I feel terrible for the seniors that are involved in this tournament,” Bowlsby said. “I feel particularly bad for the players … in the interest in heeding the advice we were hearing … cancellation was the right outcome.”

Yesterday, the Big 12 Conference announced no spectators would be allowed at the games.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.