University to cancel in-person classes amid concern over COVID-19

0
1996
(Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

The university will suspend all in-person classes amid mounting concerns for the COVID-19 pandemic. Kansas State will resume in-person classes online Monday, March 23.

“While completing classes remotely, students are strongly encouraged to remain at their permanent homes away from campus, unless they cannot return home due to travel restrictions, financial burden, or lack of reliable internet access,” President Richard Myers said in a special K-State Today email. “We are working to accommodate learning that typically takes place in laboratories and other in-person situations.

Campus will remain open for students unable to return home, Myers said.

It is unclear when in-person classes will resume, but Myers said students will have at least one week notification in advance.

On Wednesday evening, the Kansas Board of Regents met to discuss the impact of COVID-19 on its member institutions.

“The health and safety of students and employees is of the utmost importance, and we are working with state universities to support them in their response to COVID-19,” a statement from the Regents says.

The decision regarding “educational delivery” will be left to the leadership of the universities.

“Because geography and circumstances are different, these decisions are weighty ones that must prioritize health on campuses, while also taking into account the academic success of students and possible consequences for students with limited financial resources,” the statement says.

The University of Kansas announced on Wednesday they will not resume in-person classes following their spring break until Monday, March 23.

The University of Missouri will also temporarily suspend in-person classes through March 20.

During the Spanish Flu outbreak in the early 20th century, Kansas State also closed its campus as the pandemic spread. The first cases of the Spanish Flu emerged in Kansas.

Prior to the decision to temporarily suspend in-person courses due to COVID-19, K-State cancelled the College of Architecture, Planning and Design study abroad program to Orvieto, Italy, for the spring semester, resulting in the return and quarantine of those students. The university also issued an indefinite travel ban on all faculty-led trips to countries with level three advisories from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and level four advisories from the U.S. Department of State.

For updates about all of K-State’s campus related to COVID-19, visit the university information page.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.