As COVID-19 spreads around the world, K-State ‘bans all university-sponsored travel’

0
436
Cars travel on I-70 off McDowell Creek Road. The interstate stretches from Baltimore, Maryland, to Cove Fort, Utah, and is often referred to as the backbone of Kansas. (Evert Nelson | Collegian Media Group)

All university-sponsored travel outside of the state of Kansas will no longer be permitted for Kansas State employees and students.

The university also discourages all personal travel and cautions against planning future trips for university purposes.

“These measures are being taken to protect the university community in an uncertain time,” a K-State news release says.

Just over a week ago, the university placed an indefinite ban on travel to all countries with level three advisories from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or level four advisories from the U.S. Department of State. Before that, students studying abroad with the College of Architecture, Planning and Design in Orvieto, Italy, were called back to the United States.

According to the CDC, the U.S. has more than 1,500 confirmed cases of COVID-19, the infection caused by the novel coronavirus.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.