REVIEW: ‘The Right Swipe’ explores diverse topics, but leaves you wanting more

0
41
Cover art for Alisha Rai's "The Right Swipe." Image courtesy of HarperCollins US.

I had never heard of the author Alisha Rai, but a few weeks ago I was wandering around Target’s book section and the bright pink cover of her novel “The Right Swipe” caught my eye. I read the back cover and it sounded interesting, so I bought it.

“The Right Swipe” by Alisha Rai is a modern romance novel that portrays the relationship between Rhiannon Hunter, creator of a popular dating app, and Samson Lima, a former pro football player. The two connect on Rhiannon’s dating app, but he ghosts her after their first date — for a good reason that you’ll discover if you read the book. They run into one another a few months later at a business conference, and the story blossoms from there.

In my opinion, this book’s plot wasn’t the most exciting and was pretty predictable at times. The characters lacked originality and were somewhat hard to relate to and connect with. Rhiannon is closed off and cold, which is understandable based on her past — but she remains that way throughout the entire novel.

While she had some amazing Boss Babe qualities, it was tiresome trying to relate to Rhiannon from an emotional standpoint. Samson was the complete opposite of Rhiannon, but it was pretty difficult to empathize with him as well. I just wanted more from the main protagonists.

While “The Right Swipe” lacked a groundbreaking plot and original characters, it included a diverse array of topics. This book explored sexuality, the culture of modern dating, mental health, sexual harassment, the importance of consent, misogyny in STEM and more. It was refreshing to read a novel that covered so many of these subjects.

While “The Right Swipe” explored such a diverse range of topics, I don’t think it’s a book that I would necessarily recommend. I didn’t find myself picking it up because I actually wanted to read it, but more so because I have a rule with myself where I can’t start another book until I finish the one I’m currently reading. Reading this novel felt like a chore rather than a means of enjoyment. I won’t discourage anyone from reading “The Right Swipe,” but it personally left me unsatisfied and wanting more.

Emma Snyder is a senior in mass communications. The views and opinions expressed in this review are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.