K-State initiates hiring freeze, limits campus access

0
455
Anderson Hall and the grand lawn opens up to the rest of campus as the sun sets on August 9, 2016. (Archive photo by Evert Nelson | Collegian Media Group)

After Kansas State announced they would be moving to limited campus operations and online classes for the remainder of the spring semester, the university announced Wednesday that a hiring freeze has been initiated.

Effective immediately, the freeze will impact current recruitments and future recruitments, according to the announcement posted on K-State’s website.

“Approval to proceed with a current or new recruitment must be obtained via email by the appropriate vice president or Provost Taber,” the announcement reads. “No recruitment will move forward in the applicant tracking system — PageUp — without proper email authorization.”

The announcement did not detail when the hiring freeze will be lifted.

Furthermore, K-State published an additional announcement stating that faculty and staff must remain off campus unless deemed mission-critical.

“Keeping in mind the need for social distancing, everything that can be done remotely should be done remotely,” the announcement reads. “Until further notice that means we will have no in-person, student-facing operations on our campuses.”

It outlined several procedures that should be followed, effective immediately: All events should either be held remotely or canceled unless they are deemed essential, faculty and staff are not to be on campus unless their operations are deemed essential and a list of employees who need to be on campus must be provided by deans or vice presidents.

The announcement also said those who need to retrieve materials left on campus must work with their department to do so by the end of the day on Friday.

Hi there! I'm Julie Freijat. I'm the managing editor of the Collegian. In the past, I've served as an editor on the news and culture desks and worked closely with the multimedia staff. I love science and technology, hate poor movie dialogue and my favorite subreddit is r/truecrime.