There aren’t any reported cases of COVID-19 related to K-State, but that’s ‘likely to change,’ university official says

0
1000
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

Although there is one confirmed case of COVID-19 reported in Riley County from a 51-year-old man who was recently traveling outside of the United States, the university says it’s unaware of any cases affecting persons affiliated with Kansas State.

“We have not been notified of any, yet, but that is likely to change,” Jeff Morris, vice president for communications and marketing, said via email.

Cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. have surged with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reporting 15,219 cases and more than 200 deaths.

Morris said it’s possible there are cases in persons associated with K-State in other counties that the university is unaware of. As of right now, the university has not been notified by Riley County that the positive case announced Friday involves a person with a connection to K-State.

Morris said the university would “rely on self-reporting” in confirmed positives in out-of-state students.

“We do expect the numbers to grow once testing is more available in our communities,” Morris said.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.