Privilege fee recommends continuance for Wildcat 91.9 allocation

0
196

During a virtual meeting, the Privilege Fee Committee recommended a continuance to both of the allocations to the Wildcat 91.9 KSDB-FM student radio station.

Currently, the station is allocated $102,362 for its operations budget and $4,000 for a reserve account that pays for the repair, replacement and upkeep of the on-campus radio tower.

Formerly known as KSDB, the station is a noncommercial, nonprofit operation that employs multiple students in the journalism school and other fields of study. It also has student volunteers who help with operations. Currently, the station has broadcast facilities in McCain Auditorium and the K-State Student Union.

Ian Punnett, radio station adviser and professor of practice in the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications, did not call into the virtual meeting, but the committee did not have any further questions for him.

In the past, funding to the radio station has been a little contentious. The entity has been granted continuances, but Wildcat 91.9 has been reviewed in some capacity almost every year since 2017. The last time it was scheduled for review in 2017, Wildcat 91.9 was tasked with creating the student advisory board required by the funding contract — something it lacked at the time.

“I would just say that since their utilization seems to be pretty good from their overall allocation, I would probably be seeking a continuance,” student senator and junior in biochemistry Sara Wallace said.

Maggie Billman, sophomore in secondary education and at-large committee member, moved to vote on a continuance to the allocations. The recommendation passed through the committee unanimously.

Wildcat 91.9 was the last review on the committee’s schedule for the term.

“That marks the end of our long, long journey as a committee,” committee chair and senior in computer science Donny Riffel said.

The committee, however, will still be required to meet in some capacity to finish up legislation already in the approval process.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.