Andrew Smith returns home after multi-day fight in ICU with COVID-19

0
1578
Andrew Smith builds excitement for the announcement of the three requirements for the 48-hour film fest in 2019. Smith, who has been battling COVID-19 at Via Christi in Manhattan, is resting at home tonight. (File Photo by Melanie White | Collegian Media Group)

Andrew Smith, professor of practice in the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications and chairman of the board of directors of Collegian Media Group, returned home Wednesday, marking a milestone in his ongoing road to recovery from COVID-19 and bilateral pneumonia

On Friday last week, he had hoped he would be hope by Monday, and it seems his estimation was only off by a couple of days.

Earlier on Wednesday, Smith made a second update video on Facebook. At the time the video was made, he was not on oxygen around the clock anymore and was hopeful his time in intensive care was coming to an end.

Smith says since he decided to go public with his diagnosis with COVID-19, he’s received an “outpouring” of support and concern from people all across the United States.

“It’s just been overwhelming for me and my family,” Smith said. “And we’re so, so grateful.”

While he says the pneumonia is starting to lighten up, there are still some lingering concerns. He says he’s “cautiously optimistic.”

“We are not talking beating and winning and victory really,” Smith said. “We’re trying to get an even play field and maybe mount a little bit of a lead.”

He is still battling fevers and other lingering effects of the virus, including liver problems.

“Things are looking up. We’re not to the finish line yet, but they’re getting better,” Smith said.

Smith said he hopes people will take the kindness and support they’ve been showing him and his family and turn that around to help their own communities.

“Be that person that brings together those in your community, and starts to push everybody on the same path,” Smith said. “We’re going to need each other. … Everybody’s got something to give.”

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.