Lafene remains open through suspension of in-person classes, limited operations

0
115
Lafene is designating a new area for possible COVID-19 cases. (File photo by Allison Evans | Collegian Media Group)

Although Kansas State suspended in-person classes and moved campus to limited operations, Lafene Health Center remains open to students, faculty and staff.

Services for acute care issues are available for illness, injury and other conditions. Lafene has instituted telehealth options for services including psychiatric and physical therapy.

“Be prepared to self-treat your symptoms with medications like acetaminophen for fever and pain, decongestants for runny nose and congestion, cough syrups and cough drops, rest and isolation from others,” Lafene medical director Dr. Kyle Goerl said.

Individuals should also be watching for symptoms such as a high fever, cough and difficulty breathing.

Lafene is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment for medical professionals. Everyone who enters the building will be screened for risk factors for COVID-19 and have their temperature checked. A separate area has been designated for patients with possible exposure to COVID-19.

“If students do end up being seen for possible COVID-19, the health care workers engaging with them will be in full personal protective equipment, or PPE,” Goerl said. “This includes a gown, mask, face shield and gloves. There is no need to be alarmed, this is simply to help protect both the patients and us.”

Lafene is unable to provide testing for coronavirus at this time.