Riley County confirms positive case of COVID-19

0
1777
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

On Thursday morning, Riley County officials were alerted by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment that there is a positive case of COVID-19 in the county.

The Kansas State professor with COVID-19 was initially reported to be in Riley County, but was later confirmed to be a resident of Pottawatomie County.

The patient in Riley County is a 57 year old female, and according to a press release sent out by city of Manhattan public information officer Vivienne Uccello, the patient is staying at home in Manhattan.

The Riley County Health Department has scheduled a public press conference at 4:15 p.m. on Thursday available via the county Facebook.

“Our main goal is to keep the community informed and safe,” Riley County health director Julie Gibbs said. “We are in constant communication about the situation.”

Gibbs also said there is an ongoing investigation into the patient’s “activity in the community.”

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.