Senior says she’s ‘disappointed’, but understands why university had to change plans

0
397
(Photo Courtesy of Sadie Polson)

As a kindergartener, Sadie Polson, senior in marketing, could see herself graduating from Kansas State. She’s been counting down the days ever since, excited to one day walk across the stage in Bramlage Coliseum with all of her other classmates.

Now, it might not happen. At least, not in the way she imagined when she was running around with a Powercat on her backpack.

“K-State was my dream school, and having had such a wonderful college experience, it’s going to be extremely difficult to never receive the closure the months of March, April, and May would have provided,” Polson said.

Polson will finish her degree at K-State, but there won’t be a regular commencement ceremony for her and all the other graduating seniors. When the university decided to limit operations, it also made the decision to cancel spring commencement.

Polson said she’s kind of at a loss for words right now. Surprising, sad and surreal just begin to describe how she’s feeling. However, she says she knows it was important to make the decision to cancel commencement.

“Although I feel like I have lost such valuable time and memories as a senior, it is so incredibly important for everyone to be cognizant of how impactful this virus is and will be on our world,” Polson said. “If I am able to protect even one person from being affected, missing the remainder of classes on campus will be worth it.”

While she’s disappointed to miss out on commencement and to see some other traditions she was looking forward to warped by the need for social distancing, she said it’s also given her a gift.

“Along with studying, I intend to spend extra time with my family, regularly check in on my friends, and fully close out this chapter as an undergraduate student,” Polson said. “I have to say, I am very excited to have more time with my family before I move to a new city and begin a professional career.”

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.