Riley County reports fifth positive case of COVID-19, third today

0
936
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

The fifth positive case of COVID-19 in Riley County and the third today was reported by the health department. The patient is the second person in the area to test positive after returning from a Kansas State journalism practicum trip to London over spring break.

She is a 22-year-old student.

Andrew Smith, the professor of practice in the A.Q Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication who led the trip, was in intensive care after testing positive for the virus, but returned home last week following a multi-day stay at Via Christi.

“The student has been sick for the last few days and is now in isolation at home,” a facebook post from the health department reads.

The student has remained in self-isolation since returning from the trip on March 18.

“This virus presents a life and death situation for our community. The time to take action is now. If everyone does their part to limit the spread, we have a fighting chance,” local health officer Julie Gibbs said.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.