‘It gives me hope’: No new cases of COVID-19 in Riley County documented

0
230
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

The Riley County Health Department reports no new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, keeping the documented total to 20. Officially, a quarter of those individuals are classified as recovered.

Julie Gibbs, local health officer, said the county hopes to report more recoveries in the next few days.

“We encourage everyone to continue to stay home. So far, it’s been working,” Gibbs said. “We are one of the best counties in the state for many reasons — one reason is because of our social distancing grade. Keep doing what you’re doing and we will get through this sooner rather than later.”

Kurt Moldrup, assistant director of the Riley County Police Department, said the lack of increase in county cases is “encouraging.”

“We need to continue to be vigilant in the preventative measures that we’ve been taking, it’s reassuring to me that the sacrifice that everyone in the community is making is working,” Moldrup said. “I know it gives me hope that this may be the light at the end of the tunnel that we’re looking for, but it’s still a ways off.

Gibbs also said there are no Riley County residents currently hospitalized from COVID-19 related complications. Gibbs said Via Christi is currently treating a Geary County man for COVID-19.

Moldrup emphasized that though this is good news, that doesn’t mean the fight is over against the virus in Riley County.

“We need to be cautious and not let our guards down or relax the standards quite yet,” Moldrup said.

The peak of the virus is still more than two weeks off. The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation forecasts Kansas’ peak to be around April 26. In this model, Kansas’ healthcare system would not be overwhelmed.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.