K-State to receive $12.6 million in coronavirus relief package

0
338
(Archive Photo by Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

Through the coronavirus relief bill, Kansas State is expected to receive about $12.6 million as part of a multibillion dollar allocation to higher education institutes announced by the Department of Education Thursday.

About $6.3 million of the allotment to the university will be reserved just for emergency financial aid grants to students.

“What’s best for students is at the center of every decision we make,” Secretary Betsy DeVos said in a media release. “That’s why we prioritized getting funding out the door quickly to college students who need it most. We don’t want unmet financial needs due to the coronavirus to derail their learning.”

Sen. Jerry Moran said it a tweet that Kansas colleges are expected to receive $49 million from the Higher Education Relief Fund — a rollout of the third phase of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act passed by congress.

“These funds can be used for expenses like course materials and technology, which are of increased importance as universities transition to online classes, as well as everyday expenses like food, housing, health care and childcare,” Moran said in a tweet.

In March, President Richard Myers told the Kansas Board of Regents that K-State is anticipated to lose more than $20 million through its period of limited operations.

On Thursday, vice president for communications and marketing Jeff Morris said that loss number could change through the pandemic, but the figure reflects losses or extra costs reported by a survey from different colleges, departments and on-campus entities.

“That was a really early number in the process,” Morris said.

The estimate includes figures from the Housing and Dining Services refund given to students living in the dorms who were forced to move out after the university shifted to limited operations and costs the university might have incurred to support distance learning.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.