No new positive COVID cases for second day in a row in Riley County

0
371
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

The Riley County Health Department reported no new cases of COVID-19 for the second day in a row on Saturday.

“Riley county is still at 20 positives, we haven’t seen an increase in positives in the last few days,” Julie Gibbs, local health officer, said.

Gibbs also said seven people who previously tested positive are now considered recovered. There are 12 tests pending and 137 negative tests have been administered in the county.

Gibbs said that although the numbers have not increased in the county in the past few days, there is still a significant increase statewide. Kansas now has 1,268 positive cases, an increase of more than 100 since Friday, Gibbs said. Additionally, there are more than 50 COVID-19 related deaths statewide.

“If you’ll be in a situation where social distancing is hard to maintain, according to CDC guidance, it is recommended you wear a cloth mask. That is to protect others from you,” she said.

While there is good news in Riley County this week, Gibbs said people should continue to follow social distancing guidelines.

And I know with Easter upon us tomorrow … people might want to get out and see their family and friends, and that’s not a good idea at this time. We want you to stay inside [and] adhere to the governor’s order,” Gibbs said.We are not out of the woods yet.”

Hi there! I'm Julie Freijat and I'm a copy chief and an assistant news editor for the Collegian. I love science and technology, hate poor movie dialogue and my favorite subreddit is r/truecrime.