U.S. Senate candidate Roger Marshall answers College Republicans’ questions via Zoom

0
163
U.S. Rep. Roger Marshall spoke with the College Republicans Monday evening. Marshall is running for U.S. Senate(File photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

Monday evening, U.S. Senate candidate Roger Marshall met with the College Republicans at K-State through Zoom to answer questions related to his campaign.

Marshall has represented Kansas’ 1st Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives since 2017. Marshall is a K-State alumnus, served in the Army Reserve for seven years and is a physician.

“I’m running to stop the left socialist agenda. I’m running to stand beside President Trump and support his agenda: that America is first,” Marshall said.

Marshall said this included protecting our economy, our citizens, our borders and appointing conservative judges.

“I want to make sure that your generation and your children had the same shot at the American dream that I’ve had,” Marshall said. “Truly, I go to bed at night, what am I worried about? I’m worried about our national debt, and I’m worried about what my grandsons are going to be challenged with going forward.”

The first solution, Marshall said, is a strong economy by cutting back on spending on healthcare and some social programs in order to balance the budget.

Marshall addressed several students questions about China in regards to manipulating data, supply chains and intellectual property.

“However bad I thought China was as a physician in the private world, they’re 100 times worse,” Marshall said. “We cannot keep going forward with 80 percent of our healthcare products being made in China … I do think America is ready to stand up and say, ‘Wait a minute, this isn’t right.’ We sponsored several pieces of legislation recently that would help move those supply chains back to the United States.

“On the other hand, we’d love to have their trade market, but it has to be fair and reciprocal trade,” Marshall continued. “They’re an important market for Kansas agriculture but we can’t keep letting them take advantage of us.”

Marshall said what sets him apart from other candidates is that he’s the only person in the race with an agriculture background, and therefore qualified to be on the senate agriculture committee.

“It’s 40 percent of the Kansas economy,” Marshall said. “I grew up in agriculture, I’m the only candidate who can sort heifers and steers.”

Marshall expressed concerns about state governors infringing on personal liberties in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Especially during a time of crisis I think it’s important that our God-given rights are observed and respected,” he said.

Marshall said his campaign canceled in-person visits and fundraisers due to the pandemic, but he has done about 40 conference calls in the past two weeks.

“I figured you can tell what kind of senator I’ll be by the type of congressman I am right now,” Marshall said. “I’ve been interviewing for this job for three years and trust Kansans to make the right choices.”

As far as the statewide impact of COVID-19, Marshal said Kansas is not expected to have a shortage of beds or ventilators, crediting President Trump’s efforts and social isolation.

“I’m just pleased that there’s no more cases than there are, and in actuality, the number of cases we’re expecting today are half of what we thought they might be,” he said.

One of the big keys going forward, Marshal said, is testing, with which he’s optimistic that we can keep this virus under control.

“My hope is this fall, opening kickoff at Bill Snyder Family Stadium we’ll all be back there,” he said.

The Republican primary in Kansas is scheduled for August 4.

Joshua Willis, president of College Republicans at K-State, said they will also have a meeting with Susan Wagle, Kansas Senate President and candidate for U.S. Senate, at 6:30 p.m. on April 27 via Zom.

My name is Rebecca Vrbas. I’m the culture editor at the Collegian and a junior in journalism and mass communications. My hobbies include obsessing over an ever-expanding pool of musicals and cats (not the musical). I love writing because of the infinite intricacy of language, as well as its power to cultivate a sense of community through sharing experiences.