Nathan Bothwell elected speaker of student senate

0
154

Nathan Bothwell, junior in political science, was elected speaker of student senate, and Maggie Billman, freshman in secondary education, was elected speaker pro tempore over Zoom.

During the meeting, Bothwell reiterated his platforms of professional development, organizational development and relationship building. He hopes to implement an interview process for committee membership and one-on-one meetings with senators.

Bothwell said Student Governing Association has lots to offer campus and that begins will building strong student leaders.

In addition, Bothwell said there is a gap in diversity training. His goal is to for the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee to lead initiatives and trainings for senators.

Hannah Heatherman, previous speaker of student senate and senior in finance and organizational management, debated in favor of Bothwell. She emphasized the passion he had in his previous position as speaker pro tempore for helping others.

“I believe he would be a great speaker for all,” Heatherman said.

Andrew Booze, sophomore in computer science, said he believes Bothwell will enrich SGA leadership. Booze has known Bothwell for two years, beginning when Booze was an intern.

Following Bothwell’s selection, the process to elect the new speaker pro tempore began.

Billman, Vedant Kulkarni, junior in management information systems and mass communications, and Blake Phillips, freshman in business administration, accepted nominations for speaker pro tempore.

Billman said she wants to serve SGA and provide opportunity for every member. As an education major, she said she understands the importance of education and aims to implement that into her term as speaker pro tempore.

In addition, Billman said she wants to create a Campus Issue Response team to address incidents that happen on campus such as hate crimes or even the current COVID-19 response.

“This has put us in unprecedented times and leadership has struggled,” Billman said. “This is a place for students to share their voice with other students.”

Senate will reconvene at 7 p.m. on April 23 via Zoom.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.