One new case of COVID-19 case reported in Riley County

0
247
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

On Friday, the Riley County Health Department reported one new case of COVID-19, bringing the total to 27 positives.

The new positive case is in a 45-year-old male who is isolating at home. Local health officer Julie Gibbs said he is closely linked to a previous positive in Riley County.

Gibbs said Riley County has been pretty lucky — most cases have been mild and most individuals with the virus have been younger. Additionally, very few hospitalizations have been necessary in the county.

Within the county, there are now 22 pending tests and 178 negative tests have been administered.

Pat Collins, emergency management director, said the peak of the virus in Kansas and Riley County is still about two weeks off. With that in mind, Collins advised residents to make sure they are prepared in case they are affected by the virus.

“You need to be prepared just in case you or one of your family are the ones that are ill-affected,” Collins said.

Another major concern, Collins said, is the possibility of seasonal, severe weather.

If a storm does occur that requires shelter, Collins stressed the necessity of taking shelter. Lead public information officer for the Riley County COVID-19 response team Vivienne Uccello said residents should focus on the immediate danger. The most pressing threat in a storm would be safety, not social distancing.

Assistant director of the Riley County Health Department Kurt Moldrup said all contact tracing for the virus will occur via a phone call.

“You won’t be getting a text from anyone,” Moldrup said. “You will get an actual phone call.”

Legitimate calls from the health department about possible exposure to the novel coronavirus will never include questions about bank account numbers or other personal information.

If you are uncertain about the validity of a phone call from the health department, Uccello said it is okay to hang up the phone and call local officials directly.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, call the Riley County screening line at 785-323-6400.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.