New Collegian Media Group leadership announced for 2020-2021

0
304
Bailey Britton, current managing editor and junior in journalism and English, will be the next editor-in-chief of the Collegian. (Photo courtesy of Bailey Britton)

Collegian Media Group names new leadership for incoming academic year.

The Collegian editor-in-chief for the fall semester will be Bailey Britton, current managing editor and junior in journalism and English.

Britton, who has been with the Collegian since the fall of 2018, said her three goals for the student publication are to focus on students’ education, creating stronger relationships on staff and diversifying types of stories and media.

She said she is excited to lead, but it’s hard not knowing exactly what the future holds.

“We are definitely going to continue doing online publication,” Britton said. “I would like classes to be on campus, but I also want people to be safe and healthy, so I understand if we can’t have campus classes. It’s just kind of hard not knowing what we’re going to do yet.”

Digital papers, which have been done in the past, are one option, Britton said, in addition to expanding multimedia such as videos, infographics and podcasts.

“Right now, we’re also working on a ‘Between the Lines’ podcast to show what goes into our reporting process,” Britton said. “So I’d like to continue that in the fall for some of our larger stories or beats.”

She will take over from current editor-in-chief and junior in journalism Kaylie McLaughlin in August.

Additionally, the Royal Purple will be managed by co-editors-in-chief Hallie Everett, sophomore in journalism, and Katie Harbert, junior in agricultural communications and journalism.

Everett and Harbert applied for the position as a team, and have worked for the Royal Purple since they both joined the staff back in fall of 2018. Currently, Everett holds the position of copy editor, and Harbert is the design editor.

“We both have seen the book evolve over the past two years and we’ve seen what has really, really worked for us, and we’ve also seen things that we both saw that we could improve on,” Harbert said.

Everett said that one of their main goals for the yearbook was to drive home the focus on community and family in the Royal Purple.

For the book itself, Everett said the goal was to continue building on the platform of keeping it modern.

“We’re seeing what students like to read and what they want … and just trying new things and continuing to incorporate new elements to the book and keeping it evolving with the times,” Everett said. “When all this COVID-19 stuff started blowing up, it quickly became like, ‘We have to cover this.’”

She said the yearbook staff plays a vital role for Kansas State during this time.

“This is the biggest thing that has happened to K-State in forever. … That’s literally the history of K-State right there, and it’s our job as a publication to document the history of K-State,” Everett said.

Despite the potential challenges, Harbert said they’re very grateful for the opportunity to do this together.

“It’s been a unique opportunity because who else gets to say like, ‘Oh, I helped lead the book during this time and tackle this challenge,’” Harbert said. “So it’s been a good learning opportunity as well, like, maintain that work and communication remotely.”

Manhappenin’ magazine’s editor-in-chief will be Natalie Leonard, junior in journalism and Spanish.

Leonard started with Manhappenin’ this past fall as a writer, and she said it’s been a great experience so far.

“I feel like from the beginning of my time with Manhappenin’ I was always just so welcomed and so inspired by everybody,” Leonard said. “Once I became a member of the team, I just have always been super impressed by how the entire magazine, from the most subtle details of design and all of the photography and writing, is all produced by K-State students.

“And just the attention to detail and skill of the students, I just was so inspired and it inspired me to try different things as far as stepping out of my comfort zone,” she said.

For her, Manhappenin’ has been an awesome way to create something with other students that will go on after graduation, Leonard said.

“I want to expand the reach of the magazine and try and increase its following, as well as just continuing to produce original content,” she said.

My name is Rebecca Vrbas. I’m the culture editor at the Collegian and a junior in journalism and mass communications. My hobbies include obsessing over an ever-expanding pool of musicals and cats (not the musical). I love writing because of the infinite intricacy of language, as well as its power to cultivate a sense of community through sharing experiences.