Some coronavirus relief money now available for emergency financial aid

0
231
(Illustration by Julie Freijat | Collegian Media Group)

The first $6.3 million in federal coronavirus relief money promised to the university is now available for emergency financial aid for students.

Karen Goos, vice provost for enrollment management said a short online application will be available for students who qualify for funding.

Some enrolled undergraduates, graduate students and professional students are eligible to apply. However, international students, undocumented students, new students or students enrolled in distance-only degree programs are not eligible to receive these benefits, per U.S. Department of Education restrictions.

“In alignment with the Department of Education guidance, universities must prioritize students with the greatest need,” Goos wrote in a press release. “Grant amounts will vary based on the COVID-19 expenses incurred and the students’ expected family contribution, or EFC.”

Not all students who apply will be granted monies through the CARES Act allocation, but other funds have been made for students financially impacted by the pandemic.

“The expenses are supposed to be expenses related to a disruption of campus operations specifically,” Goos said previously. “It’s very specific on what we can allow.”

Students should have a completed FAFSA on file at the university and be Title IV eligible. Approximately 10,000 Kansas State students could be eligible for benefits.

The second half of the relief money promised to K-State through the third wave of the CARES Act is expected to arrive at a later date. Specific guidance hasn’t been made available on what limitations might come with the funds, but they could be used to help faculty and other university stakeholders.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.