When the time comes, Riley County meets the requirements to move into next reopening phase, officials say

0
231
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

Local health officer Julie Gibbs said some businesses in the county have started to reopen following the Restricted Movement framework. Discussion about progressing to the next phase of the reopening process has begun, but it can still be delayed if necessary.

“It’s important to continue to avoid any unnecessary travel,” Gibbs said.

The next phase of the local response will allow for salons and barber shops, fitness centers, libraries and some bars to open. All decisions about further phases will be made in collaboration with other local counties. Additionally, all decisions will comply with statewide orders, Gibbs said.

(Table Courtesy of Riley County Emergency Operations Center)

One of the key requirements to move into the next phases will be the ability to handle possible surges in positive cases and having sufficient staff to conduct contact tracing. Andrew Adams, public health emergency preparedness coordinator, said Riley County meets those requirements.

Businesses with questions about best practices should call the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce at 785-776-8829 or email info@manhattan.org. Additional resources for reopening local businesses are available at regionreimagined.org.

For the third day in a row, no new positive cases of COVID-19 were reported in Riley County. The total number of known positives remains at 55, and of those positives, 35 are considered recovered.

There is one Riley County resident currently hospitalized with COVID-19.

Individuals with symptoms are encouraged to call the screening line at 785-323-6400. People with non-emergent questions about COVID-19 in Riley County should send an email to rileycountycovid19@gmail.com.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, Riley County has been giving daily briefings about the local response to COVID-19. While the county will continue to give updates online and via social media daily, the Facebook Live briefings will occur only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.