Riley County reports first COVID-19-related death

0
556
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

On Tuesday, Riley County reported its first death from COVID-19-related complications.

The man, who was in his 30s, tested positive for COVID-19 last month and had a preexisting condition. A press release from the county said the lack of travel in his history and the lack of exposure to other known positive cases likely indicates he contracted COVID-19 through community spread.

“My heart goes out to the patient’s family and friends and I extend my deepest condolences to them,” local health officer Julie Gibbs said in the press release.

He was admitted to Ascension Via Christi in April, but was transferred to a hospital in Wichita about a week ago.

At this time, there are no new cases to report. The total number of active cases in the county dropped to 12 on Monday.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.