K-State announces 58 additional furloughs for summer months

0
1082
Kansas State announced 58 more furloughs. (File photo Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

The university announced a second round of emergency furloughs to take effect in June. A total of 58 employees in the College of Health and Human Sciences, the College of Veterinary Medicine and Parking Services will be affected.

“These emergency furloughs are an unfortunate necessity as we continue to operate in an environment of reduced revenues and limited operations,” President Richard Myers said in a press release. “We understand the duress this move puts on our employees and their families in difficult times.”

The furloughs are a result of a multimillion dollar revenue deficit incurred because of the pandemic. The College of Health and Human Sciences will furlough 20 people, as will Parking Services. The College of Veterinary Medicine will furlough 18 people.

Previously, Kansas State announced nearly 350 furloughs from Housing and Dining Services, Recreational Services, the Center for Child Development, Lafene Health Center and the K-State Student Union. Those take affect May 16.

Bailey Britton
My name is Bailey Britton and I am the editor-in-chief of the Collegian. Previously, I have been the assistant news editor and the managing editor. I have also interned for the Manhattan Mercury and the Colby Free Press. I grew up in Colby, Kansas, and I am a junior in journalism and English. Through the Collegian, I aim to provide the K-State community with quality news coverage while we learn to serve our campus.