K-State announces 58 additional furloughs for summer months

0
1058
Kansas State announced 58 more furloughs. (File photo Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

The university announced a second round of emergency furloughs to take effect in June. A total of 58 employees in the College of Health and Human Sciences, the College of Veterinary Medicine and Parking Services will be affected.

“These emergency furloughs are an unfortunate necessity as we continue to operate in an environment of reduced revenues and limited operations,” President Richard Myers said in a press release. “We understand the duress this move puts on our employees and their families in difficult times.”

The furloughs are a result of a multimillion dollar revenue deficit incurred because of the pandemic. The College of Health and Human Sciences will furlough 20 people, as will Parking Services. The College of Veterinary Medicine will furlough 18 people.

Previously, Kansas State announced nearly 350 furloughs from Housing and Dining Services, Recreational Services, the Center for Child Development, Lafene Health Center and the K-State Student Union. Those take affect May 16.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.