Riley County reports no new cases of COVID-19 for third day in a row

0
153
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

Riley County didn’t report any new cases of COVID-19 Monday. This is the third day in a row where there haven’t been any new cases, local health officer Julie Gibbs said.

“We’ve done a great job as a community [with] social distancing … and that really shows in our numbers,” Gibbs said.

Though the county started the process of reopening earlier this month, there hasn’t been a spike in new cases yet.

“We have reopened in a very control and safe manner,” Gibbs said.

Concerns about businesses violating guidelines can be directed to the Riley County Police Department or through the local response line. Assistant director of the RCPD Kurt Moldrup said the police department is making general checks and usually finds opened businesses and restaurants in compliance.

“We’ve had great community support in voluntary compliance,” Moldrup said. “We’re trying to maintain that difficult balance of maintaining the safety of our community … and getting the businesses open.”

Moldrup said RCPD won’t penalize businesses that are perceived to be doing the best they can to promote social distancing and comply with the local and state orders.

Businesses with questions about best practices should call the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce at 785-776-8829 or email info@manhattan.org. Additional resources for reopening local businesses are available at regionreimagined.org.

Andrew Adams, emergency preparedness coordinator for public health, said if any clusters do pop up, there is a possibility that local orders would backtrack to more strict regulations similar to the previous stay-at-home orders.

Individuals with symptoms are encouraged to call the screening line at 785-323-6400. The screening line is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. People with non-emergent questions about COVID-19 in Riley County should send an email to rileycountycovid19@gmail.com.

To be tested in Riley County, individuals must present at least two symptoms of COVID-19. The complete list of known symptoms is available on the health department website.

Health briefings are now held once a week. Reports about local numbers will still go out on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Next week, the briefing will be on Tuesday due to Memorial Day.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.