Voluntary football practices to resume with precautions

0
544
Bill Snyder Stadium, previously KSU Stadium, is the home to the Wildcat football team. (Archive Photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Although the NCAA and Big 12 Conference allowed football players to begin summer workouts on Monday, the Kansas State football team won’t return to Manhattan for summer workouts until June 15.

With social distancing guidelines still required for K-State operations, everything will look a little different. Groups will be divided into about 20 players, and changes will be made to player conduct within the facilities.

“We will utilize both the visiting team locker room and our football locker room, so when the groups come in there is plenty of space for them to change or shower or whatever,” athletics director Gene Taylor said.

Every player will be required to wear a mask while in the football facilities. During workouts, they will be given more breathable masks to wear, Taylor said. Players will have their temperature taken each day and will be regularly tested for COVID-19 throughout the summer.

While some players may have already started returning to the area, it is unlikely that every single player will be able to make it to Manhattan by June 15. Taylor said that there have been some concerns about travel.

Players, will require observation for at least seven days before they can start workouts. The 14-day quarantine will be required for individuals coming from hot spots, Taylor said. From there, physicals and testing will begin.

“Not everyone will be working out on [June 15], it will be kind of a spread out thing,” Taylor said.

So far, the plan is to have voluntary workouts for most of the summer.

“We will see what the requirements are from a country perspective and the maximum number we can have in the area at the same time,” Taylor said. “We will try to keep the social distancing until they get to their formal fall practice stuff.”