Another round of furloughs announced for the summer months

0
309
Anderson Hall, pictured here in November of 2019, is the administration building of Kansas State. It is home to the Office of the President, the Office of Student Life and other administrative offices. The building is one of the oldest on campus as one of the three original buildings. (Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

On Wednesday, the university announced another round of furloughs. This is the third time in the past month such a measure has been taken.

With the additional 15 people affected by this round of furloughs, about 420 university employees will be furloughed through the summer months.

“As we continue to address the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, these emergency furloughs have become an unfortunate necessity,” President Richard Myers said in a press release. “We understand the hardship this causes our employees and their families and ask for the continued support of the K-State community.”

These are the areas affected by the new furloughs:

• International Student and Scholar Services will furlough five employees
  • Education Abroad will furlough seven employees
  • Enrollment Management will furlough three employees

The press release from the university suggests that this measure could save $80,000. Furloughed employees might qualify for state unemployment benefits.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.