Second COVID-19 related death in Riley County documented

0
209
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

Riley County documented its second COVID-19 related death in an 88-year-old man who had tested positive for the novel coronavirus over the weekend.

He was hospitalized outside of the county for a series of complications, a health department press release says.

“We are deeply saddened by this loss of life,” local health officer Julie Gibbs said. “The Riley County community has worked together to slow the spread of coronavirus and I ask all of you to please continue to take precautions so we can help prevent further tragedy.”

Last month, the first COVID-19 related death was reported in the county. A 33-year-old man with an underlying condition died. He was a known positive and had been transported to another hospital to receive treatment for complications.

On Tuesday, no new positive cases were reported. There are currently 71 known positive cases, but 59 are considered recovered.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.