All 2020 graduates can walk in November, Provost says

0
809
Anderson Hall and the grand lawn opens up to the rest of campus as the sun sets. (Archive Photo by Evert Nelson | Collegian Media Group)

Graduates that would have walked in ceremonies in May or December 2020 will be able to walk in November.

“An earlier date for commencement ceremonies is consistent with our efforts to reduce risk for students, their families and their communities by reducing the need for students to travel,” Provost Taber said in a news release.

The university postponed May commencement after campus went to a limited operations status is March to slow the spread of COVID-19. At the time, those graduates were told they could walk with fall 2020 graduates at December commencement, but the new fall semester plan that sends classes online after Thanksgiving would make such a ceremony impossible.

“The historic circumstances of the past few months have required our students, faculty and staff to demonstrate a great deal of resilience and flexibility,” Taber said in the news release.

Now, Manhattan campus graduates will walk on Nov. 23 and Nov. 24. Graduates from the Polytechnic campus in Salina will have their ceremony on Nov. 20.

Their ceremony might look different than it usually does, Taber said.

“While our COVID-ready ceremonies may look different from years past, we are committed to hosting a celebration of the remarkable achievements and diligent work of our newest graduates,” he said.

More information about commencement ceremonies can be found on the designated website.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.