Four athletes test positive for COVID-19

0
863
Bill Snyder Stadium, previously KSU Stadium, is the home to the Wildcat football team. (Archive Photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that six athletes have tested positive for COVID-19. That is incorrect — four have tested positive.

Vivienne Uccello, public information officer for the city of Manhattan, said the number of Kansas State athletes that have tested positive for COVID-19 has now increased to four.

On Tuesday, the first two positive tests in student athletes were confirmed. On Wednesday, two more were added to the list.

Since Monday, Riley County documented 10 new positive cases of COVID-19, bringing the local total to 90 known cases — it’s the largest spike in cases in the county through the whole pandemic, according to data maintained by the Riley County Health Department.

It has not been confirmed whether or not these student athletes are football players, but football is the only sport that has resumed voluntary workouts. Names of the athletes with positive tests have not been released.

As stated in a release from K-State athletics on Tuesday, these positive cases are going to be managed based on the current local, state, and national guidelines.

Each individual that tests positive must self-isolate for 10 days and go 72 hours without a fever. Individuals that may have also come in contact with those infected must also self-quarantine.

On Tuesday, athletics director Gene Taylor said he expected a small number of positive tests in the athletes returning for voluntary workouts, but it is unknown if another increase in positive tests could put voluntary workouts in jeopardy.