UPDATE: Of the 130 K-State athletes who have been tested, eight have tested positive

0
314
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

As of Wednesday evening, eight student athletes have tested positive for COVID-19.

So far, K-State Athletics has tested 130 student athletes as football players return to voluntary practices, a release from the department said.

On Tuesday, the first two positive tests in student athletes were confirmed. On Wednesday, six more were added to the list throughout the day.

It’s uncertain whether or not these student athletes are football players, but football is the only sport that has resumed voluntary workouts. Other sports won’t start voluntary workouts until July.

According to a release from K-State athletics on Tuesday, these positive cases are going to be managed based on the current local, state and national guidelines.

Each individual that tests positive must self-isolate for 10 days and go 72 hours without a fever. Individuals that may have also come in contact with those infected must also self-quarantine.

On Tuesday, athletics director Gene Taylor said he expected a small number of positive tests in the athletes returning for voluntary workouts, but it is unknown if another increase in positive tests could put voluntary workouts in jeopardy.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.