Juneteenth march, flashlight vigil planned for Friday

0
182
Supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement gather in Triangle Park for a peaceful protest on June 2, 2020. (Dalton Wainscott | Collegian Media Group)

To celebrate Juneteenth and remember the life of George Floyd, Manhattan residents Jaynae Cole, Teresa Parks and Rebecca Gould organized a march and flashlight vigil on Friday.

The events begin with a march from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at Triangle Park. A flashlight vigil begins at 7 p.m. in City Park. Organizers ask attendees to wear masks, but there will be masks provided to those without masks.

“We planned this event … to educate the community on what black Americans’ independence really is,” Cole said.

The Facebook event says this is “[a]n opportunity to observe and reflect on the historical impact and significance of celebrating the official notification of liberation for the last slaves in Texas.”

Juneteenth commemorates the end of slavery in the United States. On June 19, 1865, former slaves in Galveston, Texas, learned about the end of the Civil War and their emancipation.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.