Voluntary workouts suspended after 14 athletes test positive for COVID-19

0
612
(Illustration by Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

After multiple athletes tested positive for COVID-19, Kansas State announced it will suspend voluntary workouts for two weeks.

“The health and well-being of our student-athletes will always be our top priority,” athletics director Gene Taylor said in a press release. “Following the most recent test results, we felt like temporarily pausing all football workouts and access to our facilities was the best decision for everyone. We continue to take this situation very seriously and want to do everything we can to get back to workouts soon.”

K-State Athletics said in an email 14 athletes have tested positive out of more than 130 tests. The sport these athletes play is not specified, but voluntary football workouts began on June 15. Other sports won’t start workouts until July.

On Tuesday, the first two positive tests in student athletes were confirmed. On Wednesday, six more were added throughout the day.

According to a release from K-State Athletics, all positive cases will be managed based on the current local, state and national guidelines.

Each individual that tests positive must self-isolate for 10 days and go 72 hours without a fever. Individuals that may have also come in contact with those infected must also self-quarantine.

Earlier in the week, Taylor said he expected a small number of positive tests in the athletes returning for voluntary workouts.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.