‘She set the bar for us’: How Brookelynn Entz impacted the K-State soccer program

0
839
Midfielder Brookelynn Entz plays in the soccer game against Missouri State in Manhattan on Sept 14, 2018. The Wildcats fell to the Bears 1-0. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Senior midfielder Brookelynn Entz has done just about anything you could ask for. From performances on the field to being a leader in the locker room, Entz has it covered.

She holds eight school records and has several academic honors under her belt as well.

Assistant soccer coach Kat Benton says Entz is a very versatile individual.

“Brookelynn is the most well-rounded athlete I have ever coached,” Benton said. “She has a great relationship with her professors — on the field she is a walking highlight reel. She might end up on the SportsCenter Top 10.”

The Newton, Kansas, native is coming off of her best season as a Wildcat, leading the team in points scored (10), assists (4), total shots (67), shots on goal (28) and penalty kick goals scored (2).

Entz said she is putting in the work to make sure she has a successful senior season.

“I want to have the best season yet,” Entz said. “I began to work a lot and work on specific skills like shooting, dribbling and decision making. [My] senior season has to be the best yet. Score more goals and get more wins.”

Although quarantine orders kept the team apart, Entz said every player is individually getting their daily reps in.

“Everybody has been training and working on their own,” Entz said. “It has been a grind working individually. This [quarantine] time we can use to get ahead of other teams.”

Maddie Souder, fellow senior midfielder, calls Entz as an impact leader. Souder says Entz knows how to communicate with everyone, even the freshmen.

“Let her lead the way. [Entz] is good with the freshman class, and makes them feel like they’re part of the team,” Souder said.

Souder also said Entz has an incredible work ethic.

“She puts in a lot of extra hard work behind the scenes,” Souder said.”She wants to be the best.”

Soccer isn’t the only thing that Entz holds to her heart. Her strong relationship with God is what she says drives her desire to make an impact.

“My faith is the most important part of my life,” Entz said. “God calls us to love ourselves and our community.”

Entz has made a quite the impact in her first three years in the K-State soccer program. Benton says she is a benchmark for the coaching staff in the program.

“She set the bar for us,” Benton said. “When we recruit midfielders, we try to relate recruits to [Entz’s] personality and game. “We ask ourselves the question, ‘Is this player in the same vein [as Entz].”

Entz hopes she can become the first K-State soccer player to play professional soccer in the National Women’s Soccer League. Benton has no doubt that Entz can be a professional.

“She reminds me of Michael Jordan,” Benton said. “She makes the people around her feel like a Michael Jordan. She is an incredible leader … unmatched, competitive player. It is like watching a movie.”

Benton said Entz represents what K-State soccer should be about.

“It’s a blessing for me,” Entz said. “I’m a huge K-State fan. I love K-State. I want to represent K-State well.”