Some football players announce plans to return to workouts after boycott

0
1169
Bill Snyder Stadium, previously KSU Stadium, is the home to the Wildcat football team. (Archive Photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The football team says they’ll return to team functions following a boycott they staged after another Kansas State student shared a tweet about George Floyd. The tweet made national headlines and sent shockwaves across social media.

Other athletes from different sports also pledged that they wouldn’t play their respective sports until the university addressed the matter. Though all the demands made by the athletes weren’t met, they’ve started announcing the end to the strike.

Thursday afternoon, several football players released a tweet thanking the university for the steps it has taken.

“We appreciate the diligent work of our university and athletics administration as we work through these important issues,” the message says. “The plans and action items releases Wednesday are great first steps in our goal of defeating hate and racism on our campus, and therefore, we have decided to return to workouts with our teammates.”

But they didn’t shy away from saying that the decision to return isn’t final, and can be reversed.

“However, we know that this process is far from completed, and should it slow or diminish for any reason we would re-evaluate the situation and our options at that time,” the message says.

On Wednesday, President Richard Myers mapped out an action plan in the hopes of creating the first initial steps toward defeating cultural incompetency at K-State.