Added furloughs ‘come at a steep cost,’ but will save K-State millions, Myers said

0
1307
(Archive Photo by Rowan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

On Friday, Kansas State announced even more cost-cutting measures that attempt to address the financial turmoil the university faces after COVID-19 wreaked havoc on an already lean budget.

Combined with university employee furloughs issued in the spring months, the additional furloughs total more than 1,800, a news release says. Altogether, these measures might save $8.65 million.

“These emergency and administrative furloughs have real-life consequences for our faculty and staff who are the heart of our university,” President Richard Myers said in a K-State Today release. “These are very difficult decisions to make.”

The length of each furlough will be decided at the discretion of the departmental leader. The most recent administrative furloughs won’t begin until Aug. 9 — just eight days before the semester begins. Affected areas include:

• The College of Agriculture
  • K-State Research and Extension
  • The College of Architecture, Planning & Design
  • The College of Arts and Sciences
  • The College of Health and Human Sciences
  • The Division of Communications and Marketing
  • The Office of International Programs
  • The Office of the President

This move to departmental and administrative furloughs shows a shift from the summer furloughs that mostly impacted university employees in areas deemed nonessential like Recreational Services and the K-State Student Union.

These new furloughs can be implemented at any point until June 2021.

“We are living in extraordinary times,” Myers continued. “While more difficult decisions lie ahead, we must remember we are in this together and we will meet the challenge. We have to take care of ourselves, our families, our students, and our communities while maintaining and delivering our land-grant mission through teaching, research and extension/outreach.”

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.