International students should be able to continue studies at K-State this fall, Myers says

0
162
International students attending Kansas State this fall should be able to continue their studies without worry of deportation, university president Richard Myers said in a K-State Today press release. (Bailey Britton | Collegian Media Group)

International students attending Kansas State this fall should be able to continue their studies without worry of deportation, university president Richard Myers said in a K-State Today press release. With the in-person classes offered, they can retain a “valid F-1” visa status.

K-State still plans to offer three options for classes this fall — in-person, hybrid and online classes — which will allow international students to fulfill requirements in the new Student and Exchange Visitor Program rules. The requirements include taking at least one online class.

“A policy that terminates students’ visas in the middle of their studies during a pandemic is wrong and will be detrimental for our students, our university, our state and our nation,” Myers said. “It will undermine our ability to attract and retain talented students and researchers, to enhance our diversity, to learn about different cultures, and to engage with the world. By reducing our access to international talent, this policy will threaten our nation’s economic leadership and our national security, all in the midst of a public health and economic crisis.”

Myers said international students are a valued and integral part of the K-State community and have the university’s support. In the spring semester, 1,358 international students attended K-State.

“We remain committed to working toward reasonable immigration policies that welcome international students and scholars to our campus,” Myers said.

According to a New York Times article, international students have already faced issues getting visas for the new year due to processing delays brought on by COVID-19. Some students decided to stay in their home country to avoid contracting COVID-19.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the managing editor for the Collegian. I grew up in Colby, Kansas. I am a sophomore studying journalism with minors in leadership studies and English. I value quality news coverage and believe that communication is a vital part of solving problems. When I have free time, I like to spend time with friends and family or be outdoors with a good book.