Men’s basketball earns NABC Team Academic Excellence Award

0
84
Freshman guard DaJuan Gordon is announced as a starter before this year’s sunflower showdown against Kansas in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 29. The Jayhawks narrowly beat the Wildcats 62-58. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Thursday morning, the men’s basketball team was recognized for an outstanding year in the classroom by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

The team earned the 2019-2020 Team Academic Excellence Award for achieving a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.

“I’m extremely proud of our guys for their efforts in the classroom,” head coach Bruce Weber said in an emailed press release. “Obviously, this has been a challenging academic environment for our players and I can’t thank them enough for their hard work. Many thanks to Mike [Furlong] on our staff as well as Maryclare [Wheeler], Liane [Fowler] and many other members of the student-athlete services department for the support and dedication they give to our players.”

Kansas State was one of four schools to receive the honor, and the first time receiving the award since its inaugural year in 2012-2013, according to the press release.

Redshirt junior guard Cartier Diarra, senior forward Pierson McAtee and senior guard Mike McGuirl were selected to the 2020 Academic All-Big 12 Team. Sophomore guard DaJuan Gordon was also named to the 2020 Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team.