Live Updates: Here’s the running tabulation of campus openings, specific social distancing requirements and more

0
1162
Callery pear trees blossomed in front of the historical Anderson Hall after a long, cold winter. (Archive Photo by Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

Editor’s note: This page will be updated regularly as university offices and services announce their reopening plans for the fall semester. It will include social distancing procedures, hours and available information about each plan.

Following statewide recommendations, K-State remains in Phase 3 of its COVID-19 reopening plan. For information about the general Kansas State reawakening procedure and the guidelines proposed for the fall semester, visit kstatecollegian.com.

K-State Student Union

The K-State Student Union reopened on Aug. 3 with some restrictions, but will not be fully operational until Aug. 17 — the first day of the semester.

The building will be open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays and closed on Saturdays. On Sundays, the Union will be open from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Meeting spaces, lounge areas and gathering points are limited. As is the case on the whole campus, masks are required and physical distancing will be expected. Increased cleaning and sanitation procedures are in place.

Public computers are available, but are distanced. People who use the equipment will be asked to wipe it down before and after each use.

The plan is to open all Union restaurants and the Cat’s Den. Hours may be modified and cashless transactions are recommended. In accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance, self-service food, drinks, condiments and silverware won’t be available.

Additionally, the book store will open, but pre-ordering and online purchasing will be encouraged. Capacity in the store will be limited to 75 percent and sneeze guards will be installed at the register.

The complete list of Union procedures is available online.

McCain Auditorium

The McCain Performance Series is canceled for the fall 2020 season. The decision was made in late-June, citing advice from university officials and the safety of the community.

“It was a heartbreaking decision erasing up to two years of planning,” McCain director Todd Holmberg said. “Ultimately, the guiding principle in this decision was the safety of the campus and community. The decision was also predicated on the fact that several scheduled artists and attractions were canceling their own plans to tour until at least January 2021.”

The decision to cancel the season will affect 14 large events, a press release says — two of which were already rescheduled from the spring 2020 season after the campus shutdown.

It is unclear what decisions will be made regarding the spring 2021 season.

“Those shows will only happen … if it is determined by university, government and health officials that it safe to do so,” the press release says.

Call Hall Dairy Bar

The Call Hall Dairy Bar, located near Weber Hall and Dole Hall at 1530 N Mid-Campus Drive, is open on weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lunch services and milk are not currently available, but meat, cheese and ice cream are for sale.

People who visit are asked to park in the lot in front of Dole Hall or in the north parking lot.

Hale Library

Hale Library is open to the public. This space includes the Library and IT help desks, nearly 100 computers for public use, printers and multiple study areas.

The library is also following the university guidelines on COVID-19 precautions, which means that everyone in the building is required to wear a mask. Hand sanitizer and other cleaning supplies are available for visitors to use to disinfect shared equipment before and after each use.

Some shared items, such as dry erase markers or staplers, have been removed for sanitary purposes.

Materials that are checked out undergo a 72-hour quarantine upon return before being reshelved.

For now, the library’s hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and only a maximum of 45 people can be in the building at a time.

The first floor of Hale, along with Weigel Library of Architecture and the library in Cardwell Hall, opened on Aug. 3. Semester hours will begin on Aug. 16.

There will be some study rooms available, but they must be reserved online and capacity will be limited.

Cats’ Cupboard

The Cats’ Cupboard, located in Fairchild Hall 009, remains open to students and faculty through online order and pickup procedures. People in need can fill out the order form as frequently as once a week. The last day to make online orders for summer service is Tuesday, Aug. 11.

Sarah Hoyt, operations lead at the Cats’ Cupboard, said the food pantry plans to open for in-person services on Aug. 17. Staff will be limiting the amount of people in the room at one time and people receiving services are asked to enter in the through the interior hallway and exit out the backdoor to allow for one stream of traffic.

“Exceptions will be made only if the stairs present a mobility challenge,” Hoyt said in an email. “Guests will not be allowed to enter the space through the exterior stairwell door.”

The cupboard is also still accepting donations in order to stock its shelves to meet the demand of the fall semester. Items that are most needed can be found on the Cats’ Cupboard Amazon Wishlist. To schedule an in-person donation, email catscupboard@ksu.edu.

Peter’s Recreation Complex

The Recreation Complex began a phased reopening plan on Aug. 3.

At that time, the Rec has limited hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays. Face coverings are required and temperatures will be taken when patrons enter the building. People must use the north entrance and social distancing is required inside the space.

Available facilities in Phase 1 include:

• Cardio deck
  • North and south weight rooms
  • Select weights machines
  • Walk/running track
  • Mat stretching areas

Unavailable areas and services include:

• Equipment checkout
  • Towel service
  • Personal training
  • Group fitness classes
  • Drinking fountains
  • Building reservations
  • Locker rooms and showers
  • All courts, including basketball, racquetball, the small gym and the multi-activity court
  • Climbing wall
  • Fitness studios
  • Performance zones
  • Lobby areas

Extra cleaning procedures will also be in place. Phase 2 begins on Aug. 17 depending on the local COVID-19 situation.

If you know of or work for an on-campus office or service provider that you believe should be included in this list but isn’t, email collegian@kstatecollegian.com.

Alumni Association Center

The K-State Alumni Center reopened to the public on Aug. 3. On weekdays, the center will be open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Campus-wide social distancing procedures will be required in the building. Rooms can be reserved on the center’s website.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.