TAKE A LOOK: COVID-19 in Riley County by the numbers on July 20

0
96

The Riley County Health Department reported 16 new cases of COVID-19 over the weekend, bringing the local total to 398.

Additionally, 281 of those who previously tested positive are considered to be recovered — an addition of 31 recoveries since Friday. There are 114 active cases in the county.

Riley County has documented three COVID-19-related deaths.

At this time, there have been 3,829 negative tests administered in the county and 210 tests are pending.

Currently, there are three people who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus hospitalized, and there are three people with possible cases currently being treated at Ascension Via Christi.

“We’ve started to see more severe cases in young people,” Bob Copple, president of Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Manhattan, said in a press release. “Two of the patients recently admitted to Ascension Via Christi Hospital have been in their 20s with very serious cases of COVID-19. There’s still so much we don’t know about how and why the disease affects certain people or what the long-term health impacts will be for patients. We all need to do everything we can to slow the spread.”

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.