Need to know: Housing and Dining Services change move-in procedures

Originally, Housing and Dining services scheduled Boyd Hall to be closed for renovations in the 2020-2021 academic year. (Bailey Britton | Collegian Media Group)

Housing and Dining Services implemented changes to move-in days and dorm living procedures this fall to keep students healthy. To combat the spread of COVID-19, Housing and Dining reduced dorm capacity, reopened dorms scheduled for renovations and created a move-in schedule.

Students coming from high-risk areas must quarantine for 14 days. Those in quarantine can’t attend any university function, even class.

Housing and Dining Services will monitor changes to high-risk areas as determined by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and notify students from those areas. A quarantine process will be determined for those individuals.


Below is a summary of changes to expect when moving into the residence halls.

  • Students must reserve a move-in time and date this year. Times are limited between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. A limited number of students are allowed in each slot.
  • Usually, Housing and Dining charges a $45 per day fee for students who move in before the Saturday of move-in week. However, this semester, early arrival fees will not be charged.
  • Residents are encouraged to bring as few helpers as possible. Everyone must wear a mask. Masks won’t be provided by residence hall staff during move-in.
  • Residents must unload their vehicles and relocate to a different parking lot within 30 minutes.

A full list can be found here.


  • Multiple masks — Students will be required to wear masks in residence halls common areas, dining halls and public areas on campus.
  • Cleaning supplies — Residence halls will provide some cleaning supplies, but students should bring items to clean regularly. If students plan to do laundry in the facilities provided, they should bring laundry detergent.
  • Kitchen items — Students can bring microwaves and mini fridges for their dorms. If students plan to use kitchenettes in residence halls, they must bring their own kitchen utensils as they won’t be available to check-out items from the front desk this semester.

Health and safety

If students test positive for COVID-19, Housing and Dining will require the students to move from their assigned room to an isolation dorm. Isolation dorms are located in Van Zile Hall in the Strong Community and some places in Jardine Apartments.

Officials from the Riley County Health Department will monitor residents in isolation.

My name is Bailey Britton and I am the former editor-in-chief of the Collegian. Previously, I have been the assistant news editor and the managing editor. I have also interned for the Manhattan Mercury and the Colby Free Press. I grew up in Colby, Kansas, and I am a junior in journalism and English. Through the Collegian, I aim to provide the K-State community with quality news coverage while we learn to serve our campus.