K-State to receive additional $23 million in federal relief, state reimbursement

0
204
(Archive Photo by Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State will receive an additional $23 million in federal and state relief and reimbursement funds associated with the coronavirus response.

In a special meeting on Thursday, the Kansas Board of Regents approved a total of $17.8 million from federal coronavirus relief funds for expenses incurred by the university associated with the pandemic that could not have been planned for in the budget when it was approved in the spring.

An additional $6.7 million from the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund was also allocated to K-State. These funds are meant for reimbursement purposes, based only on actual expenses incurred.

The Polytechnic campus in Salina, Kansas, and the Veterinary Medicine programs could also receive $301,989 and $451,058 respectively from the Governor’s relief fund.

Earlier in the spring, K-State received about $12.6 million directly from the federal government as part of the CARES Act.

The newest allotment from the relief bill was given to the Regents for discretionary distribution within the state higher education system. They are budgeted to be used for supplies, testing infrastructure and other expenses related to infection prevention and educational continuity during the pandemic, the Regents’ agenda says.

In all, public universities should receive about $55.5 million from the Regents. An additional $9.4 million went to public community and technical colleges.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.