OPINION: Kansas State could finish revised season 6-4

0
485
Junior running back Harry Trotter runs the ball in for a touchdown during K-State's football game against Nicholls State in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Aug. 31, 2019. The Wildcats took down the Colonels 49-14. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Big 12 announced the revised 2020 football schedule after many discussions regarding COVID-19 and the new schedule includes nine conference games and one non-conference game for the Wildcats.

The new season begins on Sept.12 and finishes Dec. 5 before the Big 12 Championship game on Dec. 12.

After finishing last season with an impressive 8-5 record in Coach Chris Klieman’s first year at the helm for the Wildcats, it will be interesting to see just how Kansas State will perform in a season unlike any other.

Sept. 12 Arkansas State (Win)

Arkansas State finished off their 2019 season 8-5 and with a Camellia Bowl victory over Florida International. The Red Wolves bring one of the Sun Belt Conferences best offenses into 2020, averaging 439 yards and 34 points per game in 2019.

The Red Wolves struggle on defense, however, finishing 124th in the nation last year. They also have a weak offensive line that was 119th last year in sacks allowed. With all of that being said, K-State should open up 2020 with a victory.

Sept. 26 at Oklahoma (Loss)

If there is any team that nobody in the Big 12 wants to start their conference slate with, it’s Oklahoma. Last year, the Sooners finished the season 12-2, won the Big 12 title over Baylor and then were dominated by eventual national champion LSU 28-63 in the college football playoff.

K-State defeated Oklahoma 48-41 last year during the homecoming game.

Even though the Sooners lost quarterback Jalen Hurts and wide receiver CeeDee Lamb to the NFL draft, Oklahoma still looks to put up big numbers on offense with quarterback Spencer Rattler looking to be next breakout quarterback in the Big 12.

Even though K-State took last year’s matchup in Manhattan and the Wildcats could keep it close this year as well, this will most likely be K-State’s first loss of the season.

Oct. 3 vs Texas Tech (Win)

Texas Tech finished 2019 with a 4-8 record and was probably one of the strangest teams last year in the Big 12.

From defeating Oklahoma State 45-35 to an unthinkable 34-37 loss at Kansas, the Red Raiders 2019 campaign was filled with plenty of highs and lows. With five of their last six losses of the season being by 10 points or less — including a 27-30 loss to K-State — Texas Tech could have won far more games than they did, but they just couldn’t finish.

Texas Tech will most likely improve this season, but this one should be a win for the Wildcats.

Oct. 10 at TCU (Loss)

The most likely dark horse in the Big 12 is TCU, finishing 5-7 last year and just missing a bowl game. The Horned Frogs lost six games last year by one possession, including a 17-24 loss at K-State.

Freshman quarterback Max Duggan put up solid stats last year, throwing for over 2,000 yards and rushing for 555 yards, but was also very inconsistent. If the Horned Frogs can turn those close losses from last year into wins this year and Duggan can get himself figured out, watch out.

In a toss-up, TCU might just be able to shock the Wildcats in this one.

Oct. 24 vs KU (Win)

Kansas went 3-9 in Les Miles’ debut season with the Jayhawks, and while there were flashes of something new brewing up in Lawerence — such as wins against Boston College and Texas Tech — it looks like it is going to take time for Miles to turn KU around.

K-State defeated KU 38-10 in Lawrence last year. As the rivalry turns back to Manhattan, K-State should be able to up their win streak against Kansas to 12 games this year.

Oct. 31 at West Virginia (Win)

West Virginia began rebuilding last year and it showed when they finished the season 5-7. The Mountaineers finished dead last in the Big 12 in total offense and scoring offense.

Even with that, the Mountaineers barely missed a bowl game and took Baylor and Oklahoma State to the brink. They also took down the Wildcats in Manhattan last year 24-20.

Expect K-State to come in hungry and looking for revenge when they visit WVU. Just like TCU, this game will be a toss-up, but K-State should be able to pull it out.

Nov. 7 vs Oklahoma State (Loss)

Chuba Hubbard, one of last years most electric stars, rushed for 2,094 yards and also made 21 touchdowns. He will be a problem for Big 12 defenses again in 2020.

Finishing 8-5 overall last year, the Cowboys are a team that looks like they could win the Big 12 one week, and then lose to teams like Texas Tech the next. This game is going to come down to which OSU team shows up in Manhattan and this very well could be a loss for the Wildcats though.

Nov. 21 at Iowa State (Win)

The Cyclones finished 7-6 in the Big 12 last year — a disappointment after being considered a dark horse to win the Big 12 title.

With Bryce Purdy still at quarterback and Breece Hall becoming a rising star at running back, the Cyclones still could be very dangerous in 2020. This game will be another classic tight battle between the Wildcats and the Cyclones, but expect K-State to come out on top once again.

Nov. 28 at Baylor (Loss)

Not many people know what to expect out of Baylor in 2020. Finishing last year 11-3, the Bears were as close as they could come to be a legit contender for the CFP.

With previous head coach Matt Rhule gone, the Bears brought in LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. With Charlie Brewer back at QB but having a defense with minimal experience, it’s going to be a coin flip whether the Bears will be a contender again or not.

Even with the uncertainty, this one will probably still go to Baylor.

Dec. 5 vs Texas (Win)

Texas has been such an interesting team over the past few years it is hard to say if they truly are back or not.

Going 8-5 last year, there were glimpses of greatness from the Longhorns such as their dismantling of Utah in the Alamo Bowl, but also a strange loss to TCU last year.

Texas got away with a close game against K-State last season, beating the Wildcats by a field goal as time expired. With it being senior day against the Longhorns and the Wildcats having a bitter taste in their mouth, the Wildcats might just have a chance to knock off the Longhorns and finish the season at 6-4.

Cameron Bradley
Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!