Phi Delta Theta associated with outbreak of 13 known cases

0
1734

Phi Delta Theta is a source of a new COVID-19 outbreak with 13 confirmed positive cases since the weekend, the Riley County Health Department says.

To be considered an outbreak by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the local health department, there needs to be a cluster of at least five cases.

A press release from the health department says Kansas State has been notified of the outbreak, and members of the fraternity and others associated with the house will be isolated if they are close contacts with known positives. Cleaning will also take place in the house.

On Monday, students returned to campus for the first time in months, and by mid-afternoon, the most recent COVID-19 numbers were in. In all, Riley County has documented at least 500 individual cases of the novel coronavirus since the first case was announced in mid-March.

Most recently, local positives have been popping up in people aged 18 to 24. More than half of all the COVID-19 cases are in college-aged individuals.

K-State previously said that it doesn’t have plans to individually report cases of COVID-19 on campus or in its students, but will instead funnel those numbers through the local health department.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.