Senior defensive back Walter Neil Jr. enters transfer portal

0
561
Defensive back, Walter Neil Jr., celebrates with his teammates after defeating South Dakota in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Sep. 1, 2018. Walter Neil Jr. recently has decided to enter the transfer portal. (Archive photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Senior defensive back Walter Neil Jr. announced on Saturday morning on Twitter that he is entering the transfer portal and will be looking to continue his football career elsewhere.

“Manhattan has been everything I’ve hoped for and more,” Neil Jr. said in his statement on Twitter. “Thank you to the amazing fans and University who has embraced me and given me the ability to display my talents at the Division 1 level. After consulting with my family and coaches I believe it’s best for me to enter the transfer portal as a graduate transfer and continue my athletic career elsewhere. I will continue to develop into the best football player and man I can. The best is yet to come.”

The 5-foot-9-inch, 179 pound senior out of Lawton, Oklahoma, found plenty of success after walking on and earning a scholarship with the Wildcats.

In his 29 games played at Kansas State, Neil Jr. started 18 games and recorded 69 total tackles, 51 of those tackles being solo and 18 assists. He also recorded 2.5 tackles for loss resulting in eight total yards lost for the opposing offense.

The former Wildcat had four pass breakups in his career and also recorded an interception against Texas last year.

As a graduate transfer, Neil Jr. will be eligible immediately once he transfers.

This is the second major loss for the defensive back position at K-State this year. Earlier this month, senior defensive back Jonathan Alexander opted out of the 2020 season due to concerns regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.

The group still has plenty of experience though— seniors A.J. Parker and Jahron McPherson, as well as sophomores Lance Robinson and Wayne Jones all have had plenty of playing time in the past and will be tasked with leading the defensive backfield in 2020.

K-State opens up its season against Arkansas State on Sept. 12 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

Cameron Bradley
Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!