TAKE A LOOK: COVID-19 in Riley County by the numbers on Sept. 2

0
291
(Infographic by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

The Riley County Health Department reported 123 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the local total to 1,045.

Since Aug. 17 — the first day of classes at Kansas State — the county has added more than 550 new cases of COVID-19.

Additionally, 447 of those who previously tested positive are considered recovered, leaving 592 active cases in the county. Riley County has documented six COVID-19-related deaths. The most recent death was announced on Wednesday after a 91-year-old male resident of Homestead of Manhattan Assisted Living Facility passed away at Stormont Vail hospital in Topeka.

At this time, there have been 6,965 negative tests administered in the county and 198 tests are pending. There are three patients hospitalized with COVID-19 at Ascension Via Christi hospital in Manhattan.

The county has also identified another COVID-19 outbreak associated with Kansas State with the addition of six cases from the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. The current outbreaks in the county are:

• Alpha Delta Pi with six cases
  • Alpha Xi Delta with six cases
  • Chi Omega with five cases
  • Delta Sigma Phi with 19 cases
  • Kappa Delta with seven cases
  • Kappa Kapa Gamma with six cases
  • K-State Football with 10 cases
  • Phi Delta Theta with 21 cases
  • Pi Beta Phi with five with
  • Sigma Alpha Epsilon with six cases
  • USD 384 School District Office with seven cases

Most of the newest cases are in people ages 18 to 24, but there is still cause for concern, local health officer Julie Gibbs said

“Thankfully, most of the younger patients are still experiencing relatively mild symptoms,” Gibbs said. “The spread to people outside the 18 to 24 age group could pose a greater health risk, and we are starting to see that happen in the Manhattan area.”

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.