TAKE A LOOK: COVID-19 in Riley County by the numbers on Sept. 11

0
400
(Infographic by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

The Riley County Health Department reported 37 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, bringing the local total to 1,347.

According to a press release, 42 percent of these new positives don’t know where or from whom they contracted the virus, indicating community spread.

Since Aug. 17 — the first day of classes at Kansas State — the county has added more than 800 new cases of COVID-19. The percent of positivity on campus declined in the last reporting period, falling from 26.4 percent to 17.1 percent for the week of Aug. 31.

Additionally, 728 of those who previously tested positive are considered recovered, leaving 623 active cases in the county. Riley County has documented six COVID-19-related deaths. The most recent death was announced Sept. 2 after a 91-year-old male resident of Homestead of Manhattan Assisted Living Facility passed away at Stormont Vail hospital in Topeka.

At this time, there have been 7,584 negative tests administered in the county and 191 tests are pending. These numbers may be outdated as Riley County is changing to a “a new infectious-disease reporting system,” an email from the county says.

The county has identified 15 COVID-19 outbreaks in the community, 13 of which are associated with Kansas State. The current outbreaks in the county are as follows:

• Delta Sigma Phi fraternity with 20 cases
  • Phi Delta Theta fraternity with 21 cases
  • Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity with five cases
  • Theta Xi fraternity with 10 cases
  • Alpha Delta Pi sorority with 12 cases
  • Alpha Xi Delta sorority with seven
  • Chi Omega sorority with six cases
  • Gamma Phi Beta with five cases
  • Kappa Delta sorority with seven cases
  • Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority with nine cases
  • Pi Beta Phi sorority with five cases
  • Sigma Kappa sorority with six cases
  • K-State football with 12 cases
  • Homestead Assisted Living with nine cases
  • USD 384 School District Office with seven cases

For an outbreak to be declared complete by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the local health department, 28 days — or two incubation periods — must pass without a new positive case.

There are currently three people hospitalized at Ascension Via Christi hospital in Manhattan. There is an additional person with a possible positive case of COVID-19 hospitalized.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.